When planning a wedding, one of the first decisions a couple must make is the date. The peak wedding season in Chicago runs from May through and November. During this time, venues and vendors are in high demand and are more difficult to book. For couples looking to host their wedding during this busy season, hosting on a Thursday or Sunday may present some unique advantages and disadvantages worth considering.
We want to recognize that for some couples, a Saturday is non-negotiable. We get it. And we’re not here to tell you that a Saturday is wrong. Quite the contrary! We simply want to provide you with some of our observations, experience, and expertise to help you choose the best possible wedding date for you and your family + friends.
So, without further ado, let’s get to the pros and cons to hosting your wedding on a Thursday or Sunday (instead of a Friday or Saturday).
Pros of Hosting a Wedding on a Thursday:
- Thursday weddings can be a cost-effective option for couples. Venues and vendors often charge less for Thursday weddings compared to Saturday weddings.
- Thursday weddings can also be a great option for couples who want a more intimate, laid-back atmosphere.
- Thursday weddings allow your guests to be able to make the absolute most of their experience traveling for your wedding- it can cut the cost of airfare compared to weekend travel. And the same goes for hotel rates!
- Thursday weddings – The party doesn’t have to stop here! Your wedding can kick off an entire weekend of fun. Some of your guests will be coming from out of town this gives you more time to spend with your loved ones
- Some venues and vendors may be more available on a Thursday compared to Saturdays during the peak wedding season.
Cons of Hosting a Wedding on a Thursday:
- Some guests may have a hard time getting off work to attend your Thursday wedding. In reality, though your guests will be taking time off anyway- this makes travel cost worth it.
Pros of Hosting a Wedding on a Sunday:
- Sunday weddings can be a great option for couples who want a more relaxed atmosphere.
- Sunday weddings can be a great option for those who want to have a more traditional wedding, as many religious ceremonies are held on Sundays.
- Some venues and vendors may be more available on a Sunday compared to Saturdays during the peak wedding season.
- Sunday weddings mean your rehearsal dinner is on Saturday, which will be much easier for your wedding party to attend compared to a Friday evening
- Sunday, Funday
- Brunch receptions are a trend we are seeing- who doesn’t love breakfast food?
Cons of Hosting a Wedding on a Sunday:
- Some vendors may be unavailable on Sundays because Sunday is their designated off-day.
Ultimately, the decision of whether to host your wedding on a Thursday or Sunday comes down to personal preference.
Consider your budget, the atmosphere you want to create, and the availability of your vendors and guests before making your final decision. Also, during the busy wedding season, Thursdays and Sundays offer more flexibility and availability for venues and vendors, which means you have a better chance at assembling your dream team (and possibly for a little less cash too)!